Think about it...


Sunday, November 27, 2016

To the Mountains that Hold My Son

     We are each on a journey. Our destinations are connected by periods of holding on and moments of letting go.
     This past Thanksgiving week flew by. I tried to be in the moment with the launch of my children's book, Baby Birds, and celebrating the holiday with family and friends. It was my grandson's first Thanksgiving--he is so cute and funny! My nieces and nephews are all growing up way too fast. The food was absolutely delicious! Before we knew it, the week was ending, and it was time to take my youngest back to college. He and my husband were both ready to get back to their normal routines, but something inside me wasn't. So, while riding back home through the mountains from the University of North Georgia in Dahlonega, I did what writers do and put some of what I was feeling down on paper.


To the Mountains that Hold My Son

He’s off to school that boy of mine.
We visit him from time to time.
I struggle when it’s time to part,
Leaving behind part of my heart.

I talk and chat the time away,
But you don’t want for us to stay.
Your hills may still have gold to hide,
But now you hold this mother’s pride.

I watch the view on the way home.
It seems like days since we’ve been gone.
Teach him now all he needs to know.
One day, you too, must let him go.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment